Yoga, which means “union” or “harmony,” is both a philosophical system and a science whose goal is the attainment of self awareness.
With its beginnings enshrouded in the prehistory of India, evidence of yoga practices has been found in the Indus Valley civilization of 2,000-4,000 B.C.E. Although ancient, yoga is not outdated. It has value for the modern world. Hatha yoga offers us the opportunity to deepen our self understanding through physical movement, breathing and meditation.
There are many different styles of yoga. Some styles are fast paced and vigorous while others are very gentle and slow-moving. All of the styles of yoga have benefits, so evaluating your individual needs and personality type will help point you in the right direction. You can read a description of the style of yoga offered at Yoga Tree by clicking here.
Below are just some of the benefits of yoga:
- Brings balance and harmony to the body, mind and spirit.
- Helps with strength, flexibility range of motion and balance
- Calms the mind, reduces stress and anxiety
- Revitalizes the body and mind
- Slows heart rate
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases circulation
- Strengthens and tones muscles
- Helps to detoxify system
- Improves function of internal organs
- Balances muscular system
- Increases metabolism and energy
- Can help reduce depression, stress and insomnia